• 4 Clever Ideas to Decorate Your House This Halloween •
When you think about decorating your home for the holidays, Halloween may not be the first holiday that comes to mind — but that’s all the more reason to decorate and make your home stand out among the rest.
If you want to get your home ready for Halloween, but you’re not quite sure where to start, have no fear. Fortunately, it’s hard to “overdo” the Halloween decorations. Whether you’re a fan of natural corn stalks and hay bales, you prefer smiling and kid-friendly decorations, or you want to go all-out with a DIY haunted house, Halloween is the perfect opportunity to show off your creativity.
To help you get started, here are 4 spooktacular ways to decorate your home, sure to make your home extra fun and spooky this year — and the talk of the neighborhood.
Kid-Friendly Goblin House
If you have small children at home, or even if you’re just a big kid at heart, these kid-friendly decorations can be a great way to enjoy a fun, but not too scary, Halloween experience. And, as an added bonus, your children can help you with these fun crafts and decorations.
- Carve or paint pumpkins to decorate your front porch or steps
- Replace the lightbulb on your porch with a blacklight bulb
- Make and hang white “ghosts” using plastic or canvas drop cloths or old bedsheets (thrift stores are a great place to find old or mismatched sheets)
- Make a Jack-o-Lantern scarecrow using straw, some old clothes, and a silly hat
- Have your kids make homemade Halloween-themed decorations, and then hang them on the porch or display them in your windows
- Decorate a Halloween tree in your front yard, using blank and orange streamers or crepe paper, orange lights, and Halloween themed or colored decorations
- Add battery-powered candles to your driveway, walkway, or sidewalk
- Decorate your lawn with inflatables — there are so many to choose from!
Create the Illusion of a Creepy, Abandoned House
If you’re looking to up the spooky factor of your home for Halloween, creating the illusion of an old, abandoned house is a great way to go. Try these decorations to turn your home into a creepy, deserted house in no time.
- Add artificial spiderwebs and spiders to your windows and doorways
- Affix broken glass stickers to your windows for an instant uptick in creepiness
- Darken your porch and entryway by replacing your light bulbs with yellow bulbs or black lights
- If you have a porch swing on your porch or in your yard, hang it crookedly for a lopsided effect
- Prop boards or plywood against your windows to give your home a boarded-up look and make it feel abandoned
- Gather stems or old, dead plants and flowers to make a spooky arrangement for your front porch
- Flickering electric candles in your window lend a creepy, haunted effect, without being overly scary
Convert Your Garage into a Haunted House
If you are having a Halloween party, or want to give trick-or-treaters an extra scare or two when they visit your house, converting your garage into a haunted house is a great way to go.
- Start by clearing out any clutter. Move anything in the middle of the garage against the wall, and cover it with a black sheet or plastic. Make sure there are no tripping hazards and that you have well-defined walkways
- Create blind corners, since part of the appeal of a haunted house is having no idea what is coming next or what will jump out at you from around the corner
- Set the scene with black lights, a creepy soundtrack, and fog machines
- Create a spooky entrance, with strategically placed outdoor lighting illuminating trees or bushes to cast creepy shadows. Set figures or cutouts in front of the lights to create the same shadowy effects against the exterior of your house
Get Seasonal with Fall Decor
Of course, if you’d prefer a less spooky aesthetic, you can create a picture-perfect autumn backdrop at your home, using minimalistic and natural decorations.
- Use bales of hay or straw to create a rustic, autumn vibe (these can also double as outdoor seating for a party or gathering)
- Corn stalks look great in a vertical arrangement, either around a light post or by your front door
- Pumpkins are the perfect compromise between Halloween and autumn decorations, no carving or painting required
- Place gourds or colorful corn in a basket to create a unique autumnal arrangement
The Bottom Line
At Reali, we offer our customers smarter financing, faster transitions, and smoother moves. To learn more about the products we offer and to keep up with all things real estate, make sure to follow our blog.
About The Author
Portia Green is a highly experienced full-time REALTOR® specializing in the representation of Sellers, heralded by her clients as data-driven and an effective negotiator. Producing $25M total in residential sales volume, Portia's goal is to help her clients achieve the best results when selling their homes and to make their experience an enjoyable one. She has successfully sold real estate since 2008 and has gained an in-depth knowledge of local real estate markets & seasonal trends. Portia has achieved a 100% customer satisfaction rating and wants to share her expertise & personal service with you in the sale of your home. When listing your home with Portia Green and Compass, you'll receive the hands-on service you need and desire. Portia will help you manage the entire process of selling your home from pricing, preparing and staging the house, to marketing, negotiating offers, inspections, all the way to closing. She will recommend skilled vendors for any job needed, personally host Open Houses, and ensure that all showings are accompanied. At Compass, Portia offers a wise no-nonsense way to sell your home for the best price and the least hassle. With a keen eye for staging & preparing listings to maximize Buyer appeal, all of Portia Green's listings are professionally photographed using HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography to provide the highest quality photos in the industry. Professionally printed marketing materials are prepared for all Open Houses. We also capture a 3D scan of your home that creates an interactive walkthrough online along with a custom-designed floor plan and targeted digital marketing campaigns on Google & the most popular social media channels. Compass participates in the Multiple Listing Service, which is the local real estate database of homes listed for sale that all REALTORS® use in helping their Buyers find houses. Your home will appear on every real estate website, in its best light, making a stunning camera-ready debut. Portia Green's home valuation expertise and extensive experience in comparative market analysis will help price your home accurately. She has refined her skills to help you pinpoint which features of your home will result in more showings and better results. Her mantra is for you to be ready to sell your home and feel good about that first. Portia knows that home inspectors always find a problem; that drones take some of the best photos in town; and that her eyebrows will grow to the floor in the time it takes her to read everything that's happening with your HOA, but that doesn't mean she won't do it anyway. Eyebrows be damned. You'll always need a place to unplug, connect, dream, grow, or just be yourself. That makes what Portia does even more meaningful. She’s ready to go the extra mile to help you find just the place. Whether you're selling your very first home, offloading an investment property, or want a vacation getaway with passive income, she is attentive to the details of every home sale. Portia helps busy people navigate this crazy real estate market like a pro, so don't be shy. Every great relationship starts with free advice and a friendly chat. Ask as many questions as you need to. Selling houses is her jam! www.portia.realtor